Saturday, July 15, 2017

Learning Visit 2017: In Depth

Okay, so I was being too selfish with my last post. With too much that happened within those two days, how could I possibly fit them all into 400 word article? The only plausible reason is that I was too afraid to write a long one thinking it's out of my comfort zone. I write articles as short as possible because I wanted to be less prone to mistakes. But, ex nihilo nihil fit.

I was out of my comfort zone during our two days of learning, I might as well be as courageous as I was in writing about it.

The Learning Visit 2017 focused on the visits to the communities that are benefiting to the programs of DSWD IV-A.


KALAHI-CIDSS (Kapit-Bisig Laban sa Kahirapan - Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Sciences)
Brgy. Pinagdanlayan Health Center 



I was, honestly, still a little bit uncomfortable when we reached our first destination, Brgy. Pinagdanlayan. I didn't know what to do or whom to interview but I did what the brown envelope told me to do, to use the notebook and pen inside it.  

I listened and wrote every information I heard until a box caught my eyes. When I saw the "suggestion box" sitting on one of the tables, nostalgia hit me. I wrote a Plan to install Suggestion Box in our College as a requirement for our Public Relations subject. My prime reason was that there are people who receive courage through anonymity. 



Everyone has voice some are just afraid to speak. So, yes, I felt the urge to know what do the citizens speak of. And, what they usually say is, according to the resident nurse, the health center is always clean. Hm. That's plain. Haha! But yes, all of them used their anonymity to praise. No negative comment has been found inside the box. Seems like Brgy. Pinagdanlayan of Dolores, the very first municipality that implimented the Kalahi-CIDSS program, really benefited to the constructed health center in their community. 

Then again, why not? Instead of travelling an hour to seek for medical attention, isn't it much more convenient that a health center is just a few minutes away?


Comprehensive Program for Sama-Bajau 
Brgy. Dalahican

They are usually in groups, with babies carried by the mothers. Most of them wearing dirty clothes, if not all. They are found in the streets, asking for donations. But, not all!



The curiosity some of us have for Bajau are overpowered by annoyance, fear towards them. I witnessed them being laughed at inside jeepneys as they begged for donations. Although, I was curious, I was scared. I couldn't talk to them. That's why I was so happy that I became part of the Learning Visit 2017. I had the opportunity to interact with them and know that not all of them beg, some of them creates and sells for a living.I was able to buy a mat made by their own hands.

Comprehensive Program for Sama-Bajau made it possible. This program of DSWD focuses on the Bajau development. They are trained with skills that can help them be competent to  of the world they now live in. 

Discrimination. When they first entered this world, they were called Bajau. It's as if the word itself is something to be ashamed  about. But it mustn't be, right?
Perhaps, if all of us knew what our fellow brothers and sisters of the Bajau tribe have gone through, we'll be more wise and understanding not to bring more sadness to them. They have suffered enough.

Although, they didn't feel welcomed by this world at first, with the knowledge they had learned, discrimination can be put to an end. 

"Katutubong kultura ay pagyamanin..."

Everyone of us has the right to live without being insulted for what we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment