Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Learning Visit 2017


I don't do lengthy articles, well, I do if it's a requirement (remembering those 2000-word essays I wrote when I was in college). I always shorten things up as much as possible. No reason. That's just how I wanted everything I write to be. So, I apologize for the shortness of my article.

To simplify everything my way, and to somehow pay tribute to the souls I shared this journey with, I'll use Es.

Effort
First of all, it is indeed difficult for me to travel without the company of someone I know, but I was able to get through this one. Kudos to you, Kristelle! You finally exerted effort to explore the world outside your circle. You made me so proud. *Self-five*

On a more serious note, the government employees who are sincere to attend to the needs of those who are in need, through the implementation of various beneficial programs, should be commended for their love and compassion. 

And not only the government employees should be acknowledged for their hardships, one of the people I encountered that is notable for his effort is Sir Juncel Reyes, the resident nurse of the health center in Brgy. Pinagdanlayan, a project under KALAHI-CIDSS. Trading the possibility of a better salary in the cities to looking after the health of the small town residents is respectable. Four years of serving, four years of caring.




Experience
Riding on a fisherman's boat (fiber glass boat!), setting foot to Quezon Province, fish feeding... etc. all for the first time!
Chatting with some Badjaos and beneficiaries of 4Ps (Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program), though, lands on an entirely different level of experience. It will always be a privilege to be able to connect with people.



Epiphany
Learning Visit 2017 helped me see things in a different perspective. If it weren't for the meaningful trip, I definitely wouldn't realize that:

(1) Badjaos did not come here (in Luzon) for self-gain. It was purely an act of survival. With only the knowledge of fishing, when they were threatened, became a subject of thievery, it was only natural for them to keep themselves away from danger and to seek for help.
(2) Those who are considered "poorest of the poor" are contented with what is given to them. They are grateful, regardless of the amount, with what they receive. Not all, maybe, (I always doubt the existence of "all" in every scenarios) but almost everyone. An outlook everyone should have, to be contented with what you have.
(3) Some of them are trying. Although they are put to shadow by the evil, some government workers are trying their best to do their job. Yes, they're trying. If you think that DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) is doing nothing, well there's the 4Ps (Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program), SLP (Sustainable Livelihood Program) and KALAHI-CIDSS for you to research on, or you could just ask me *wink* *wink* (please don’t!).
(4) The Province of Quezon is a wonderful place. The province just doesn’t have that exposure, even on social media, compared to other provinces, so you have to see it for yourself. But if you’re planning to visit Quezon, you should explore Atimonan. Aside from the tourist attractions, the people there are so welcoming that they can make you feel at home.



Escape
An escape doesn't necessarily mean going for a vacation, at least not for me. It's more of a experience-something-new-and-see-things-in-a-different-light kind of thing. That's why I'm grateful to be part of Learning Visit 2017. I'm part of the people who escaped!

Thank you DSWD IV-A for the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment